1. Describe the forms of communication.
2. Identify the five C’s of communication.
3. Discuss the role of letters, memos, and reports in business.
4. Manage telephone communications and use appropriate techniques to gather and record information.
5. Discuss communication techniques as they apply to internal and external customers.
6. Describe and analyze the impact of cultural diversity on the communication process.
7. Employ appropriate communication strategies for dealing with dissatisfied customers (e.g., face-to-face discussions, electronic correspondence, and writing).
8. Discuss the positive and negative aspects of the office “grapevine” and office politics.
9. Discuss discrimination and sexual harassment and its implications in the workplace.
10. Use bias-free language (e.g., gender, race, religion, physical challenges, and sexual orientation).
11. Plan a meeting to achieve an identified purpose (e.g., schedule the facilities, arrange for a speaker, and notify the participants).
12. Demonstrate effective negotiation and consensus-building techniques to provide or obtain appropriate feedback and resolve conflicts.
13. Evaluate appropriate and inappropriate methods of interacting with others in the workplace, including team-based workgroups.
14. Define and differentiate workplace relationships including supervisor, employee, client, and team member.
15. Define and interpret upward, downward, and horizontal communication and organizational structures.
16. Investigate and define the characteristics and advantages/disadvantages of team-based workgroups including members, roles, and expectations.