1. Use and understand basic computer terminology.
2. Explain the purpose, operation, and care of hardware components.
3. Install, configure, optimize, and upgrade operating software and application software on computers and other portable devices.
4. Identify tools, diagnostic procedures, and troubleshooting techniques for components and operating systems for personal computers, laptops, and portable devices.
5. Apply basic commands and navigate the operating system including such things as creating backups and determining memory and disk space.
6. Input data and commands using peripherals (keyboard, light pen, mouse, scanner, and voice recognition).
7. Manage file storage through the use of file and disk management techniques such as copy, move, store, rename, retrieve, save, delete, compress, decompress, and create/manipulate folders and directories.
8. Use a browser to search and navigate hypertext documents and to download files.
9. Use Internet search engines and understand their advantages and disadvantages.
10. Evaluate the accuracy, relevance, and comprehensiveness of information retrieved from the Web.
11. Identify the different parts of a browser window (pull-down menus, toolbar, address box, status bar, scroll bar, close button, maximize and minimize buttons, and title bar).
12. Analyze emerging technologies used by business and industry.
13. Identify the fundamental principles and basic concepts of installing, configuring, optimizing, and upgrading printers and scanners.
14. Identify tools and diagnostic procedures to troubleshoot printers and scanners and perform basic printer functions (load paper, change cartridge, repair paper jam, etc.).
15. Identify and use appropriate resources to obtain assistance (Help menu, manuals, Web site).
16. Evaluate advantages and disadvantages of various processing, storage, retrieval, and transmission technologies.
17. Identify the fundamental principles and basic concepts of networks including installing, configuring, optimizing, and upgrading.
18. Identify network devices including network connectivity hardware and describe their functions.