Health Care Administration
1. Determine commonly used documents that are composed in a medical office.
2. List procedures to maintain healthcare provider’s schedule.
3. Demonstrate procedures to schedule patient appointments.
4. Identify procedures to register patient.
5. Identify the parts of a patient chart.
6. State rules to maintain patient confidentiality according to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
7. Identify procedures to sort and process mail.
8. Identify procedures for handling emergencies in medical office.
9. Prepare treatment rooms and exam tables.
10. Determine procedures to clean instruments, equipment, and work areas.
11. Determine maintenance requirements for supplies and equipment.
12. Identify procedures to maintain, stock, and inventory of supplies and equipment.
13. Identify unsafe conditions.
14. Coordinate meetings, events, and activities.
15. Select effective time management techniques.
16. Identify resources needed to complete a job assignment.
1. Define medical root words.
2. Define what specific suffixes mean in a medical terminology context.
3. Define what specific prefixes mean in a medical terminology context.
4. Define common medical abbreviations.
5. Communicate information using medical terms.
6. Differentiate between medical various specialties.
7. Use anatomical terminology to describe body parts and functions.
1. State healthcare facility policies and procedures.
2. Identify National, State, and Local standards for workplace safety.
3. Determine laws governing healthcare professionals.
4. State the purpose of a patient’s “Bill of Rights”.
5. Explain laws and standards associated with employment and labor.
6. Explain the purpose of Material Data Safety Sheets (MSDS) used in a healthcare setting.
7. Explain laws associated with harassment.
8. Determine licensure and certification needed by healthcare professionals.
9. Identify standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
10. Maintain patient confidentiality.
11. Identify threats to patient confidentiality.
12. Define expressed, implied and informed consent.
13. Identify practices and behaviors that result in malpractice, liability, and/or negligence.
14. Identify ethical issues related to healthcare.
15. Identify appropriate work habits and ethics
1. Describe the various forms of communication common to healthcare.
2. Discuss the role of letters, memos, and reports in the healthcare business.
3. Manage telephone communications and use appropriate techniques to gather and record information.
4. Describe and analyze the impact of cultural diversity on the communication process.
5. Employ appropriate communication strategies for dealing with dis-satisfied customers (e.g., face-to-face discussions, electronic correspondence and writing).
6. Identify techniques to respond to the emotional needs of patients and families (e.g. supportive listening).
7. Assist practitioner in management of communication activities.
8. Identify appropriate responses to difficult patient’s behavior.
9. List purposeful activities for cognitive skills.
10. Analyze the need for effective communication with members of interdisciplinary teams.
1. Identify procedures for payment on accounts.
2. Identify procedures for and complete a balance sheet.
3. List procedures to bill patient.
4. Define procedures for processing past-due accounts.
5. Identify procedures for and make a bank deposit.
6. Identify procedures to open a new patient account.
7. Identify procedure for and reconcile a bank statement.
8. Process an accounts payable invoice.
9. Identify procedures to maintain a petty cash fund.
10. Identify common financial forms used in healthcare.
1. List types of health insurance coverage (HMO, PPO, Medicare, etc.)
2. Identify procedure for obtaining insurance authorization for patient treatment or testing.
3. Identify commonly used insurance forms and statements.
4. List commonly used International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9) codes for billing purposes and insurance claims.
5. Identify procedure for processing referrals.
6. Prepare a billing statement.
7. Interpret an explanation of benefits (EOB’s) form.
8. Identify procedures for submitting insurance claims.
1. Identify components of the medical record
2. Determine procedures to code medical records.
3. Identify procedures for filing medical records manually or electronically.
4. Identify the phases of the record life cycle.
5. List medical record charge-out procedures.
6. Manage electronic file storage through the use of file and disk management techniques.
1. List procedures for aseptic hand washing.
2. Identify infection control techniques to prevent transmission of infectious disease.
3. Describe OSHA and CDC standards for infection control.
4. Identify procedures to dispose of bio-hazardous materials.
5. Detail proper technique for handling clean and soiled linens and clothing.
6. Identify standard precautions used in healthcare (i.e. gown, mask, gloves, cap, and protective eyewear.)
7. Detail procedures to clean, sterilize, and prepare instruments and supplies.
8. List factors that promote and inhibit growth of microorganisms.
9. Identify ways the body protects against microorganisms and infection.
1. Identify common elements of a patient’s medical history.
2. List procedures to record and report vital signs.
3. Interpret readings on various metering devices.
4. List patient responses during testing or treatment.
5. Record/file patient’s data or lab test results manually and electronically.
6. Answer inquiries concerning patients from medical staff using correct medical terminology.
7. Carry out plan of care/orders.
8. Identify charting techniques.
9. Identify and use the correct chart forms
1. Define basic computer terminology.
2. Identify software and its common applications to the healthcare industry.
3. Explain the purpose, operation, and care of hardware components.
4. Identify tools, diagnostic procedures and troubleshooting techniques for components and operating systems for personal computers, laptops and portable devices.
5. Apply basic commands and navigate the operating systems.
6. Input data and commands using peripherals (e.g. keyboard, touchscreen, scanner, and voice recognition.)
7. Identify key words used to search and navigate the Internet using a search engine.
8. Identify the different parts of a browser window (pull-down menus, toolbar, address box, status bar, scroll bar, close button, maximize and minimize buttons and title bar).
9. Analyze emerging technologies used by the healthcare industry.
10. Identify tools and diagnostic procedures to troubleshoot printers and scanners.
11. Identify and use appropriate resources to obtain assistance (e.g., Help menu, manuals, Web site)