Specific Cases are given during the conference. This case will be an interactive role‐play scenario will be given based on customer service in the technical field.
Desk Help is an ‘Individual Objective Test and Role Play Event’. This event consists of two parts, an objective test, and an individual role play. A 60‐minute objective test will be administered onsite at the NLC.
Desk Help is a Team or Individual event.
Two 4” x 6” note cards will be provided to each competitor and may be used during event preparation and performance. Information may be written on both sides of the note cards. Note cards willbecollected following thepresentation.
No additional reference materials allowed.
Individuals should introduce themselves, describe the situation, make their recommendations, and summarize
All questions raised in the case must be
addressed during the presentation.
Turn off electronic devices.
Objective test scores will be used to break a tie.
Final performances are not open to
conference attendees.Preparation time: 10 minutes
Performance time: 5 minutes
1. Identify considerations for effective use of email communication.
2. Explain techniques for cross cultural communication.
3. Identify the impacts of language barriers when communicating with customers.
4. Identify options used for language assistance and explain when to obtain assistance when supporting a customer whose primary language is different than your own.
5. Define emotional intelligence and explain why emotional intelligence is important to the role of a CSR.
6. Describe an emotional hijack and explain the impact of an emotional hijack on self and customers.
7. Explain the principles and benefits of active listening.
8. Define paraphrasing.
9. Identify barriers of active listening.
10. Describe how to match a customer’s communication style and the importance of doing so.
11. List the steps of the communication process.
12. Explain the difference between deductive reasoning and inductive reasoning.
13. Explain the difference between open-ended and closed-ending questioning.
1. Identify ways to promote the image of the support center.
2. Define policy and list the purpose of organizational policies.
3. Explain the role of the support center and list the responsibilities of the support center in meeting the needs of its customers.
4. Explain the value of the support center to the organization.
5. Identify common measurements used in support centers and describe how these are used.
6. List the reasons for logging all incidents or service requests.
7. Identify what information should be documented for incidents.
8. List the benefits of documentation, such as spelling and capturing complete thoughts.
9. List behaviors to avoid when documenting incidents.
10. Explain creative thinking and critical thinking and why they are important for problem solving.
11. Describe escalation and identify when to escalate.
12. Define up-selling.
13. Define cross-selling.
14. Identify the benefits of up-selling and cross-selling.
1. Identify ways a CSR can deliver consistent, quality customer service.
2. Define incident and explain the purpose of the Incident Management process.
3. List and explain the value and activities of the Incident Management process.
4. Describe the responsibilities of the CSR in the Incident Management process.
5. Define service request and explain the purpose of the Request Fulfillment process.
6. List and explain the value and activities of the Request Fulfillment process.
7. Describe the responsibilities of the CSR in the Request Fulfillment process.
8. List best practices for customer management during the Incident Management process.
9. Explain the benefits of using the customer’s name during the call.
10. Identify techniques for keeping the customer’s attention focused on the resolution.
11. Identify habits and situations to avoid when interacting with a customer.
12. List the steps for putting a customer on hold and for transferring a call.
13. List the steps for closing a call.
14. List the benefits of customer management.
15. List strategies for establishing effective relationships with customers.
16. Define customer differentiating.
17. Define customer competency and describe four customer competency levels.
18. Identify ways to adapt to customer competency levels and encourage and/or praise incident solving attempts by the customer.
19. List principles of negotiating with a customer.
20. Explain the difference between assertiveness, aggressiveness and passiveness.
21. List common customer emotions or actions a representative may have to deal with.
22. Explain the difference between empathy and sympathy.
23. Identify signs that a conflict is developing.
24. Explain why demonstrating confidence is important and list techniques for doing this over the phone.
25. Identify techniques that reduce and eliminate conflict.
26. Identify strategies to use when handling an irate customer.
27. Identify strategies to use when handling an emotional customer.
28. Identify strategies to use when handling a rambling customer.
29. List steps to disengage from a customer who refuses to disengage.
30. Explain the importance of keeping the customer informed of changes in status.
31. List the steps for providing live status updates to customers.
32. Explain the steps for leaving a voicemail status update.
33. Identify the characteristics of providing consistent service.
34. Identify the characteristics of excellent customer service.
1. Identify common technologies used in the support center.
2. Explain the difference between public branch exchange (PBX) and automatic call distribution (ACD) systems.
3. Define computer telephony integration (CTI).
4. Define procedure.
5. Define quality assurance.
6. Describe the types of quality assurance programs typically used in a support center.
7. Identify mechanisms for call monitoring.
8. Explain the importance of customer satisfaction surveys.
9. Describe the three most common types of surveys and the importance of each type.
10. Explain the purpose of the security management process.
11. Identify types of security policies.
12. List types of data that should be protected.
13. Explain the importance of reporting security compromises.
1. Identify the characteristics of an effective leader.
2. Identify ways to exhibit personal accountability.
3. Describe ethical behavior in support center.
4. Identify strategies for multitasking in a support environment.
5. Explain how to manage the use of your time efficiently.
6. List ideas for staying informed about industry trends and best practices.
7. List responsibilities of a CSR.
8. Explain the objectives and benefits of teamwork.
9. Identify characteristics of successful teams and define responsibilities of team members.
10. List techniques for establishing effective relationships with other departments.
11. Define stress and identify its causes.
12. List common physical symptoms of stress and list techniques for managing stress.
13. Identify the characteristics of a positive service attitude.
14. List the benefits of a positive service attitude.