Management Decision Making
Specific cases are given during the conference. The case will be a problem encountered by managers in the following areas: human resource management, financial management, marketing management or information systems management. Competitors will assume the role of management and present a solution to the case study.
Management Decision Making is a ‘Collaborative Object Test and Role Play Event’. These events consist of two parts: an objective test and an interactive role play.
Scroll down for object test subtopics.
Two 4″ by 6″ not cards will be provided to each competitor and may be used during event preparation and performance. Information may be written on both sides of the note cards. Note cards will be collected after the presentation.
No Additional Reference Materials Allowed
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Performance Time: 7 minutes
1. Describe current and emerging trends in business (e.g., acquisition/downsizing, e-commerce, data mining, labor market, and social issues).
2. Describe the impact of demographic issues on business.
3. Define the four functions of management and describe management roles, functions, skills, and values.
4. Compare and contrast the planning function to other management functions.
5. Explain the importance of organizing in business.
6. Describe how organization provides accountability by delegating authority and assigning responsibility.
7. Describe the nature of managerial control (e.g., control process, types of control, and what is controlled).
8. Determine the evaluating/controlling strategy for a given business situation.
9. Analyze leadership and management styles and their characteristics, benefits, and limitations in a variety of business situations.
10. Identify stressors in the business environment and employ strategies for dealing with stress.
11. Define forms of global partnering (e.g., licensing, joint ventures, exporting, importing, and franchising) and analyze business situations to determine opportunities for global partnering.