1. Explain why leadership is important.
2. Define leadership.
3. Explain how self-assessment is used to determine leadership potential.
4. Describe characteristics of leaders (initiative, ability to function independently, follow-through, ethics, ability to respond to ambiguity and change, resiliency, positive attitude, confidence, record of excellence).
1. Describe interpersonal roles for managerial leadership.
2. Explain informational roles for managerial leadership.
3. Describe decisional roles of managerial leaders.
4. Understand the importance of effective research for leadership decisions.
5. Appreciate the perspectives of other individuals within an organization.
6. Explain how successful leaders use reflection and application for future challenges.
7. Explain the importance of analyzing situations to gain a more comprehensive understanding.
8. Explain how leaders connect individual thinking with systems thinking.
9. Explain the importance of evaluating different alternatives to make the best decisions.
10. Describe how leaders generate new ideas by expanding their thinking beyond convention.
11. Explain how problem solving and decision making are key duties for leaders.
12. Explain how self-understanding (personal values, personal contributions, scope of competence) determines leadership capabilities.
1. Compare leadership styles.
2. Explain the difference between job-centered and employee-centered behavior.
3. Explain the motivation process for leadership.
4. Compare and contrast motivation theories.
5. Define Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Theory.
6. Explain the need for individuals to balance professional and personal needs.
7. Define the Equity Theory, Expectancy Theory, Reinforcement Theory, and Goal-Setting Theory for motivation.
1. Define professional networking.
2. Explain the relationship between professional networking and leadership.
3. Explain the leadership advantages of forming professional networks.
4. Describe the power of productive interpersonal interaction.
5. Describe characteristics of productive leaders (appropriate interaction with others, empathy, mentoring, helping others, motivation, empowerment, feedback, supervision, collaboration, other’s contributions).
1. Explain how successful leadership is based upon solid communication.
2. Define the elements of the communication process (sender, receiver, message, feedback).
3. Explain common approaches to getting feedback on messages.
4. Explain the power of nonverbal communication.
5. Explain the role of conflict negotiation for groups.
6. Explain the importance of listening skills.
1. Define the Leader-Member Exchange (LMX) Theory.
2. Describe how group dynamics impact team building for leadership.
3. Explain strategies for developing positive leader-member relations.
4. Explain the importance of effective leader feedback.
5. List characteristics of an effective follower.
6. Explain the dual role of being a leader and a follower.
1. Explain the use of teams in organizations.
2. Explain the difference between a group and a team.
3. Explain advantages and disadvantages of teamwork.
4. Describe characteristics of effective teams and the role of leadership.
5. Differentiate characteristics of different teams (functional, cross-functional, self-managed).
1. Explain the need to analyze the environment to form a strategic vision.
2. Explain the importance mission statement, objectives, and strategic planning/implementation for leadership.
3. Explain the importance of evaluating leadership strategies.
4. Explain the need for leadership in crisis situations.
5. Define crisis management.
6. List the five-step process for crisis management (risk identification, risk assessment and ranking, risk reduction strategies, crisis prevention simulations, crisis management).
7. Recognize the need for change.
8. Understand why people resist change.
9. Define the change process.
10. Explain the mission, vision, goals, plan, and organization for making leadership decisions.
1. Explain individual leadership.
2. Describe leadership within a group.
3. Define organizational leadership.
4. Describe interrelationships among individual, group, and organizational leadership.
1. Describe leadership theory.
2. Explain application of leadership theory.
3. Explain leadership skill development and the need for flexibility.
1. Define traits of effective leaders.
2. Explain how leadership traits can be acquired.
1. Explain the Achievement Motivation Theory.
2. Define the Leader Motive Profile.
3. Explain how self-assessment is used to determine leadership qualities.
1. Differentiate Theory X and Theory Y styles of leadership.
2. Explain how attitudes influence leadership styles.
3. Explain the Pygmalion Effect on Leadership.
1. Explain ethical leadership behavior.
2. Explain how personality traits and attitudes, moral development, and the situation affect ethical behavior.
3. Describe how people justify unethical behavior.
4. Describe simple guides to ethical behavior.
5. List characteristics of ethical leaders.
1. Describe sources of power for leaders.
2. Explain types of power, influencing tactics, and ways to increase personal power.
1. Explain the relationship between coaching and leadership.
2. Describe why criticism does not work.
3. Explain how mentoring is used to prepare future leaders.
1. Describe conflict management styles.
2. Define conflict resolution and mediation.
1. Describe the difference between leader-centered and group-centered decision making.
2. Explain the difference between individual and team decision making.
1. Explain the nature of organizational politics.
2. Explain the relationship between political behavior and leadership.
1. Describe factors that determine personal meaning.
2. Describe characteristics of charismatic leaders.
3. Explain the effects of charismatic leadership.
4. Define attributes and behaviors for transformational leadership
1. Explain the nature of stewardship and servant leadership.
2. Describe the framework for stewardship and servant leadership.
1. Understand the power of culture.
2. Differentiate characteristics of low-performance and high-performance culture.
3. Describe how leaders are culture creators.
4. Explain how culture, values, diversity, and the learning organization influence the role of leaders.
5. Define diversity and explain the importance of inclusion for decision making.
6. Explain the importance of social responsibility.